4.4.14 - 4.4.14 85 °F
The conference today started with our opening General Session.
Our first keynote speaker was award winning lecturer Kathleey Passanisi who spoke entertainingly about 'happiness'
- Only 13% of the folks in the USA are 'happy' with their work.
- If you are happy, your productivity increases by 50%
- To Be Happy, the following factors will assist (1) try to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night (2) breathe when you work - folks have a tendency to hold their breath (3) Practice gratitude and do for others...and provide social support (4) Face time not Facebook! (5) Experience and adventure (6) Play to your strengths (7) Don't sacrifice happiness for success.
Our next presenter was Christine Duffy, CEO of Cruise Lines International Association, the event planner, who provided and update on the current cruise industry
- The cruise industry has experienced 20 years of continuous growth. In 2014, more than 21.7 million folks will cruise world wide. There are currently 410 cruise ships, with another 24 new ships expected in the next year.
Next up was a panel of cruise line executives:
- Their thoughts: Today's ships are using 25% less energy than those of just a few years ago. The cruise lines are investing heavily in clean water technology to keep the oceans clean. The lines are focusing hardware around experience. They are planning itineraries that provide wonderful destinations getting you there in a wonderful way. In the USA, more than 325,000 jobs are created from the cruise industry. The press over publicizes the effect of Noro Virus. In any given year more than 6% of North Americans contract the virus. Only .007% of cruisers experience the virus and those folks contract because someone came on board ill. Asia is a slow growing market because there is little infrastructure. The cruise lines have to keep the Caribbean Islands focused so that they continue to provide the experience that cruisers demand.
Our final guest was Gavin McLeod of Love Boat fame - still a spokesperson for Princess Cruises. He is a huge supporter of the industry!